NXP Semiconductors N.V. today announced its 3-channel LED driver, the UBA3077, for use in backlighting Liquid Crystal Displays (LCD). Based on NXP GreenChipT technology, the UBA3077 is a fully integrated switched-mode solution for multi-channel applications supporting the growing popularity of LED as a backlight source for TVs and PC monitors, as well as general lighting applications. For LCD backlighting, the UBA3077 drives LED strings with a very accurate constant current and improves picture quality - including deeper dark pictures - by allowing dimming at a low current level. With 94 percent efficiency, the UBA3077 enables designers to engineer thinner LCD panels with less power consumption and heat dissipation, to give a brighter display with better contrast levels. The UBA3077 is available immediately.
Facts / Highlights:
* The NXP UBA3077 features the CMOS50 PM (Power Management) process, designed for high voltage integration in a digital environment, combining power features with complex digital processing and offering best-in-class performance
* The UBA3077 consists of three independent channels, each with its own integrated boost converter and current source, making the application design immune to extra heat dissipation due to voltage mismatch in the LED strings
* The UBA3077 features integrated MOSFETs for boost converters and current sources, enabling designers to reduce the size of the application and cost of external components
* The highly linear and accurate dimming functionality of UBA3077 allows deep dimming at less than 1 percent light output, which results in a better picture quality
* UBA3077 offers very high efficiency and very accurate light control with individual PWM (pulse width modulation) controls per channel
* 14-bit PWM dimming (either defined by system generated PWMs, or internally generated) up to 24kHz (duty cycle from 0.1% to 100%)
* Operating with a supply between 10V and 42V, UBA3077 can drive up to three strings of 20 LEDs each rated at up to 150mA
* UBA3077 can operate in an autonomous way, or be controlled via a 400kHz I2C bus
* UBA3077 is packaged in a HVQFN40, allowing good heat dissipation through the PCB
* Pricing: UBA3077 is available for US $3.20 for 1000 pieces
UBA3077 has been designed keeping in mind the current and future market trends towards the use of LEDs for backlighting applications. LEDs save significant amounts of energy and lower lifetime operating costs. The UBA3077 enables the production of pulsating colors and contains no harmful elements making it an eco-friendly chip based on GreenChip technology, said Jacques Le Berre, director of marketing and business development, lighting solutions, NXP Semiconductors.